How do I move my Family Tree Maker file from one computer to another ‘It’s a situation most of us have experienced. Whether you are finally upgrading to a new system or needing to reboot your hard drive to eliminate a troublesome virus, sometimes you will need to transfer your tree. A few quick tips can help you move your tree – without losing any data. If you do this, you will access your tree, but the Family Tree Maker will not communicate with your media items, and you will see thumbnails of your photos and records. The trick is to make sure you transfer your file and audio, video, and photos simultaneously. The first step is to make a backup copy of your tree to your old computer.
- On your old computer, make sure the tree you want to transfer is open; and click file> Backup. The Backup window opens.
If you want a new name to separate this backup file from your original tree, enter a new tree name in the file backup file. You can now choose whether to save your file to a CD, DVD, or flash drive.
- Insert a CD or DVD into your disk drive or connect your flash drive to your old computer.
- In the backup area, click Remove Media and select your CD-ROM drive, Drive Drive, or flash drive from the drop-down list.
- Click the Insert checkbox for linked media files. If you do not do this, photos, videos, and audio items in your tree will not be included in the file.
- Click OK. A series of messages indicates backup progress.
- When the backup is complete, download your CD, DVD, or flash drive and install it on your new computer.
Now you need to move the backup file to the new computer hard drive. This is important because the Family Tree Maker will not open trees on CDs, DVDs, or flash drives.
- Make sure you have your current version of Family Tree Maker 2019 installed on your new computer.
- On a new computer, double-click on My Computer and browse to the drive where your backup file is stored (CD, DVD, or flash drive).
- Once you have found your backup file (.ftmb), right-click and select copy.
- Locate the folder on your hard drive where you want to store the file (such as My Documents); then right-click and select paste. The backup file has been copied to your hard drive.
- Open the Family Tree Maker 2019 on your new computer.
- Select File> Restore. It opens the Recovery File window.
- Click the Look in the drop-down list and find the folder where the backup file is found (.ftmb).
- Click on the backup file you want to open.
- Click Open. The restored Filename opens. You will now create a new Family Tree Maker tree from your backup file.
- In infield Save, select the location of the new file.
- In the Filename, enter a new file name.
- Click Save. Your tree is open to the Family Tree Maker. Note that your media items are stored in the same folder where you stored your new tree.
Family Tree Maker for Multiple Computers
Are you planning on more than one computer to use Family Tree Maker? If the answer is yes, you do not need to worry about that. But, of course, only one device can use the Family Tree Maker license.
We now use multiple devices like desktops and laptops at home. Usually, we want to use Family Tree Maker on the desktop, while sometimes, we use laptops. We rely entirely on the circumstances and circumstances to choose to use the phones.
For Windows laptops and Mac Book Pro or iMac, we always use Family Tree Maker. A license for that program is required to use Family Tree Maker on other phones. And it is not difficult and expensive to get several licenses at all.
By purchasing a Family Pack 3 – Family Tree Maker’s Computer License for a small fee of $ 20 to use up to 3 phones. One download license costs $ 69.99, and the Family Pack for up to three computers costs $ 20 more ($ 69.99 + $ 20.00 = $ 89.99).
It can be used Up to 3 devices at a time.
It can be a combination of Windows and Mac.
If you use Family Tree Maker on a desktop and single-user laptop in the same program, you do not need to purchase a Family Pack.
Move Family Tree Maker To New Computer FAQ
How do I submit my family tree details to a family historian?
To transfer your data from a family tree maker to a family historian by creating a Gedcom file, after that, you should create a new project under a family historian and select the option to import a Gedcom file into that, then select the Gedcom file you downloaded.
How to transfer ftm 2019 to a new computer?
you can do this in many ways, but first, you have to build a backup from an existing family tree maker whatever version you are using, and after that, you have to move data from one computer to another new one and make sure the new computer must have a 2019 family tree maker installed on it and open the manufacturer your family 2019 then select flash drive data to transfer to this computer and the task is complete with changing your new ftm on this computer as well
How can you transfer files from one version of FTM to the latest version of Ftm 2019?
To do that, you need to create a backup of that version first at any location you choose on your computer and install the new 2019 family medicine maker in that and then when properly installed then select a backup from that source where your family backup is located and select it, this way you will get the new version and thus you will get all your files also removed from the last version.