Amrita Pritam (अमृता प्रीतम ) is a Punjabi poet, novelist, essayist. She is considered the first female poet, novelist, essayist who wrote in Punjabi and Hindi. She has written more than 100 books of poetry, biographies, fiction, essays, the autobiography that were translated into several Indian and foreign languages and collection of Punjabi folk songs.
Amrita Pritam Personal Info
- Birthday: 31 August 1919
- Zodiac Sign: Libra
- Place of Birth: Gujranwala, Pakistan
- School: NA
- Collage: University of the Punjab, Lahore,University of Delhi, New Delhi
- Nationality: Indian
- Religion: Sikhism
- Other Name: Amrit Kaur
- Death: 31 October 2005 ( 86 years of age )
Amrita Pritam Family
- Father: Raj Bibi
- Mother: Kartar Singh Hitkari
- Husband: Pritam Singh (1935 to 1960 )
- Son: Navraj Kwatra
- Daughter: Kandala
Awards & Honor
- Sahitya Akademi Award in 1956
- Padam Shri in 1969 in the literature and education field.
- Bharatiya Jnanpith in 1982
- Shatabdi Samman in 200
- Padam Vibushan in 2004 in the literature and education field.
- She was honored by a doodle by Google on her 100th birthday
facts about Amrita Pritam
- She is among the best-known Punjabi poet and authors. She has been honored with many highest awards of the country in the literature field.
- She was born in Gujranwala. She later moved to Lahore with her father at the age of 11 after her mother’s death.
- Her mother’s death has a significant impact on her life. She cannot fill the gap created in her life after her mother died, so she started writing.
- She got married to Pritam Singh at the age of 16 in 1936.
- Amrita’s first publication was also at the age of 16, a Punjabi poem ‘Amrit Lehran,’ which means immortal waves.
- Amrita Pritam also worked in a radio station in Pakistan until the partition.
- She migrated to New Delhi at the time of the British India partition. She moved from Lahore to New Delhi.
- Amrita Pritam’s work became famous in 1960, due to which her writing also got published in many other languages as she only writes in Punjabi and Hindi.
- The government of Punjab awarded her the Punjab Ratan Award for art and literature. She was the first to get this award.
- Many movies are made on her novels like “Pinjar,” “Kadambari, ” and “Daaku.”
- Amrita Pritam is the first woman to get the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1956 for her poem “Sunshade,” which means message.
Wikiken likes to provide you information related to every topic you love to read. We are just not a blog, we are a community. Join our community and write for us.